Our riding programs are designed to:
- help develop and increase physical abilities, communication, concentration, social skills, confidence and self esteem.
- provide our riders with a sport.
- be an opportunity for recreation in a supportive environment that is fun, exhilarating and different.
Most of our riders come from Cambridge but we have riders that come from the wider Waikato region as well.
We have riders of all ages - from 5 years old to any age at all.
We have a team of trained RDA horses. We do our best to match each rider with a horse that suits their personality, ability and needs. A special bond often develops between horse and rider. Meet our horses to find out more.
Riders are split into group classes based on ability, personality or age and the horses available. We have no more than six riders per class. Classes run for 40 minutes, although some riders are only able to ride for a short time, especially when they first begin to ride.
"I ride on a Saturday morning and at the moment Pip is teaching me how to trot on Paki. Riding is giving me lots of confidence. I love going to RDA on Saturday and all the volunteers are really awesome." - Hamish
All our riders are given the opportunity to compete in shows and competitions which are always so much fun! We take riders to the A&P show in Cambridge to compete in the RDA section. The annual RDA regional games day is held at different RDA groups in our region with Cambridge hosting it every three years. We also take some of our riders and horses to the annual Napier RDA dressage competition. See our latest news and photo gallery for some of the things our riders have been up to.
- Covered-in shoes with a small heel. Riding boots are ideal but not compulsory.
- Long pants to protect legs.
- No dangly jewellery.
We have riding helmets in a variety of sizes and provide hair nets.
As we are not government subsidised, our riders pay a small fee per year to help cover the costs of keeping the horses.
Yearly membership: $5
- Thursday classes (riding every Thursday during the school term is about 10 sessions per term): $50
- Saturday classes (riding every second Saturday during the school term is 5 sessions per term): $25
- Download our riders application form (pdf).
- Download the medical consent form (pdf). This is to be completed and signed by your doctor.
- Thursday riders need to download the rider profile form (pdf). This is to be completed by your teacher or teacher aid. It will give us an indication how we can work best with your abilities and strengths.
- See our contact information for our email or postal addresses.
We encourage you to come and view one or two of our riding sessions to see what we do before starting. See our contact information to email us and organise a time.
Duncan Do-It Ltd (Home maintenance)
GDK Concrete Contractors
A1 Bobcats and Concrete
Waikato Farriers Association
J and J Laughton Shredding Services
Ailene Cuthbertson - Webs